A few months ago I did an interview for Michael Britt’s podcast called The Psych Files. Michael has a loyal following (there have been 10,000 downloads of this particular podcast). Michael was “taken” with my book and decided to apply some of the things he learned to make changes in his own website.
Here’s part of his original website:
Michael wrote me an email that said:
Changes based on the recommendations in your book:
1) Added in user feedback (chapter 2: social validation)
2) added in data (Chapter 2: Added data: number of views on YouTube, Google search result info)
3) Reciprocity (chapter 3: “The Psych Files podcast offers…..completely free audio and web resources.”)
4) Emphasized scarcity (chapter 4: “The is the ONLY place on the web where you’ll find this”…)
5) Drew on the idea of fear of loss (chapter 9: “Don’t be worried about getting a low grade…”)
6) Added in a success stories (chapter 10: “I went back to school after 15 years, and my daughter…..”)
I also did these things:
1) Made it more clear what problem the user had that my product would solve (instead of emphasizing how great I thought the product was)
2) Created visuals that are a) amusing, b) reinforce what the product will do for the potential buyer.
3) Bolded the important words
4) Decreased the amount of text overall
And here’s the “after” web page:
You can see the web site at: http://www.thepsychfiles.com/brain-mnemonics-for-sale/.
Thanks Michael for sending me your case study!